Frequently asked questions

What do Canadian employers interested in recruiting through Mobilité Francophone need to do to qualify?

  • The employer must submit an offer of employment before a work permit application is made. Offers of employment made under the International Mobility Program are submitted through the Employer Portal.
  • The job offer made to the foreign worker must be for a skilled position. Canada's National Occupational Classification (NOC) system for classifying different occupations lists skilled work as level 0, A or B.
  • Skill level 0: Management jobs.
  • Skill level A: Professional jobs. Workers typically need a university degree in order to be hired for these jobs.
  • Skill level B: Technical jobs and skilled trades. Workers typically need a college diploma or apprentice training to be hired for these jobs.
  • The offer of employment does not have to require French language ability under the job description. However, the worker must have French language ability (see the section above to learn more).
  • An employer compliance fee of $230 is required for each job offer made through the Employer Portal. Once this has been paid, the job offer number may then be transmitted to the applicant (foreign worker), who submits the work permit application.
  • Visa Officers may issue an LMIA-exempt work permit that is valid for the duration of the offer of employment, or until the expiry of the travel document, whichever is earlier.
  • IRCC aims to maintain quick processing standards. The processing time for the Paris Visa Office, for example, is approximately one month.

If I get a job through Mobilité Francophone, can my family join me in Canada?

  • Foreign workers may bring accompanying family members to Canada. If the offer of employment is for six months or longer, the worker's spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, may apply for an open work permit. The holder of an open work permit can work for any Canadian employer, without first having a confirmed offer of employment. An open work permit is not job-specific.
  • In addition, if the offer of employment is for six months or longer, a study permit application may be made for any accompanying school-age children. No letter of admission is required in order to apply for a study permit in this instance.

How long does it take to process my work permit?

  • Step 1: Time to find an employer and get a job offer - time varies
  • Step 2: Time to apply for a work permit (see table below for timelines by country)
  • Step 3: You can come to Canada once you have a work permit approval letter and a visa (if required)
SAMPLE of Country Specific work permit processing times (average processing time in 2019): Belgium: 7 weeks Cameroon: 5 weeks Côte d’Ivoire: 5 weeks Democratic Republic of the Congo: 5 weeks France: 4 weeks Haiti: 5 weeks Jamaica: 2 weeks Madagascar: 4 weeks Mauritius: 9 weeks New Caledonia: 5 weeks Seychelles: 8 weeks

What would typical costs be and how can I pay for these expenses?

Typical Costs

  • Employer costs - the employer will be responsible for all recruiting costs and the IRCC (government) job offer compliance fee and application $230.00
  • Personal costs - the IRCC (government) work permit application fee of $155.00 for you PLUS additional family members government fees.
  • Personal Cost - costs related to hiring an immigration consultant to assist with your work permit application $1500.00 for the initial applicant plus additional family member processing fees plus disbursements (personal costs). **
  • Personal Cost - eg. Medical fee, Police Clearance fees, photographs, courier fees, and any other requested document fees.
  • Personal Cost - Airfare to Canada. ***
**PLEASE NOTE: Most employers will be willing to assist you with the costs above #2 through # 5 so that your application can be processed in a timely manner. The employer may discuss with you about recouping these personal fees through source deductions after you arrive in Canada.